25 January 2014

REPOST: Chocolate Fudge Sauerkraut Beer Cake

That's right my friends, who doesn't love chocolate, fudge, sauerkraut, beer, and cake?!?!?!?

The reason for the repost is 2 reasons: 1. I'm too lazy to finish the dozen or so drafts I have waiting to be finished and posted and 2. I found a review for this cake in Pinterest that makes me think that someone actually tried and, get this, enjoyed this recipe!


Before I get to the review I'll, let me recap the original post back 2010.
Years ago my mom handed down to me the original copies over our family recipes and in those recipes I found this:



When I saw it, don't you know I just had to try it and unbeknownst to my in-laws, they would be the test subjects. They were perfect people - they're both straight shooters that don't really like to take risks with their food. I'm sure if I would have told them anything other than, "Yeah, it's a chocolate", they wouldn't have taken a single bite. In the end they loved it! However, they did shoot me a few crazy looks when I slipped the recipe card across the table.

So, back to the recipe review. I was checking out the stats on the blog and most of my visits are generated from Pinterest. I decided to to check the pins and if there was any feedback on the recipes. That's when I found this:

"You'll need to sit down for this, Friends.....it's Chocolate Fudge Sauerkraut Beer Cake. Yes. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. I made it today and through only the greatest of willpower did not Hoover the entire thing. Dense, moist, a perfect crumb. If you're going to make this, buy the fresh sauerkraut in the fridged section of your grocery store, where you find the good pickles. The crisper the kraut, the better. For the beer, I used a Hefeweizen. Try this. I'll [It'll] be your new best friend."

Don't believe me, take a look for yourself:  http://www.pinterest.com/pin/107171666102535279/


The cake really is that good and I agree 100% on the sauerkraut. If you can't find fresh sauerkraut buy one of these two brands that are found in the refrigerated section an your favorite grocer.
Silver Floss is also sold under the name Flanagan Krrrrisp Kraut



Enjoy!



CAKE:

2/3 cup oleo, softened (I used real salted butter)
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
2/3 cup sauerkraut, drained, rinsed, and chopped
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup beer

Cream oleo and sugar.
Beat in eggs - one at a time - then add vanilla
Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
Add dry ingredients to cream mixture with beer alternately.
Stir in chopped sauerkraut
Pour into 2 - 8" greased and floured pans (I used 9" pans, cocoa powder instead of flour, and parchment paper)
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until done
Cool and frost





FROSTING - this is sooo good!

2 (4 oz) pkg of German sweet bakers chocolate
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, room temp
2 Tbsp cream (milk)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Microwave chocolate for about 1 1/2 minutes - stir until completely melted - let cool a little
Cream cream cheese then add cream/milk
Add chocolate to cream cheese
Add sugar gradually mixing after each addition
Add salt and vanilla, mix well
Frost cake as soon as possible - frosting sets up quickly





No comments:

Post a Comment